Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Trouble at Drop Off

When we started going to preschool, I was threatening to keep her home when she wasn't behaving. It was a good system, because missing school was the worst thing ever. But last week, for the first time in 8 months, big sister did not want to go to school. Both my husband and I were baffled when we first heard her utter the words, "I don't wanna go to school today." We tried asking her many times what was going on and why the sudden change in attitude.

We had recently gotten back from our trip to Richmond and Grandma and Grandpa had just gone home after their visit to our house for the birthday party. We figured that she was missing them and just a little extra clingy, but as the week went on, the protests about going to school became stronger and stronger.

This morning is the second week we have had this problem. She wanted to be carried and didn't want me to put her down. Even her friends crowding around her waiting to play wasn't enticing enough to get her down.

Well as luck would have it one of the kids was carrying a little bucket of sandy mud and I guess he tripped and the mud went flying through the air and landed all over us as I was fixing the croc straps. It went all over my shirt and into my v-neck. This meant that I could quickly leave to clean up without my little clinger. As I opened the door, the crying began. Her teacher quickly scooped her up and the door closed as her sad cries dissipated.

It breaks my heart to leave her when she is so upset. Now both kids scream and cry when they get dropped off. It is enough to make me want to take a break from working for the rest of the summer so I don't have to stress them out going to school. Although, I don't really want to do that and they both need the socialization (and I need the break & adult time).

What do you do in this situation? No one seems to be able to figure out why the change and Little Miss Tight Lipped certainly isn't shedding any light. Suggestions and advice are appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment